Sunday, June 1, 2008

Family or Friend

How important is family? I look at every one's facebook pictures and more often than not there is are photo of family. I have lots of photos of family. My facebook 'friends' are about 95% family. What type of bond is there that you share with another person that you can't acquire from knowing lots of people? I have a few, no couple, friends that I refer to as family. Not in a 'I've-know-you- so-long-and-you've-know-me-so-long-we-should-just-be-family' type of way. But we have shared experiences, good and a few bad. I can trust these people to do what's right for me if they have to even if it hurts someone else. On the other end of the spectrum I have family that I won't trust to make those life/death decisions. What does that really mean? I wonder if family is then a closeness/bond you share with someone or people regardless of blood ties. It is then a different sort of blood that ties you together with someone, it's a metaphysical tie. This tie will bond you stronger than blood with other people. Sometimes though I'm sure you have this same tie with relatives.
What then should be said of the closeness that you don't feel with relatives? What is that called? The bed is calling me. I'll talk about this stuff some other day, or maybe not. I won't remember to do it.
As I close and wind up a wonderful weekend from adult tea at the Presby Iris Gardens in Montclair with a friend, dinner to celebrate my one of my brother's birthday and to cap it off a picnic in Prospect Park to celebrate my Dad's birthday. I would say that I am truly blessed to be able to have these experiences and will cherish them until the next one comes along.

No comments: