Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Michelle's Baby Shower

Michelle's shower went well. I decorated it how I wanted, which is always a good thing. The food was fine, I didn't do it, another good thing. The games were a little different, becasue this was her second shower. I got the guests to decorate, t-shirts for the Grandmothers, father and the siblings and a tote bag for Michelle. A maternity 50/50 - the guests all agreed to put money into a pot share the money 50/50 with the new baby. The winner is chosen based on the due date of the baby...whose date is closest to the arival. I think it's still confuising so I'll break it down further.
  • 50/50 - baby gets 50% and winner gets 50%
  • Winner chosen by - baby is due November 7th, could be born 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after.
  • Guests choose different dates.
  • Winner is which date is on that day or closest to it.

I think that's a better explanation. Those activities took a long time. There were a lot of protests. People didn't want to illustrate or write. Eventually we finished. Then we did 2 traditional games baby bingo and guess mama's waistline. Mureka was the first winner for baby bingo and 5 other people after that. We stopped at the second round of bingo. Mama's waistline, Denise won but not by traditional methods. We won't say she cheated just misinterpreted the directions. Mom, Mureka and Lucy were the closest to the actual size. Michelle's sisters thought they were measuring Kirk I guess because the ribbon was very, very long. The favors I had to get very creative quickly because the original favors fell through, and I didn't know until the day of. So, I made diapers out of dish cloths and pinned a yellow ribbons on the pins. It sort of went with the gifts the guests won, liquid hand washing soap. I think the only other thing I would have done differently is get a better quality dish cloth to make the diapers in or use flour sacks and have them printed Michelle's Baby Shower on the bottom part, maybe I will do that when the baby arrives.

Dancing Queen Party,

I saw Mama Mia in the movies (adult onset add won't allow me to see in the theatre) with RiLee and I invited a couple of friends over to my house on Friday night for a party. I'm going to put a tv outside and play a bootleg version. I'm getting a sofa for outside so we can sit under the lights and talk about everything and nothing. Abba music will be playing. And I'm going to get lights on the trees and candles on the grounds. It's going to feel like the movie. I need to alert my neighbors becasue we have a quiet clause in my town after 11. I don't want the cops busting my affair! That should put me in a better mood for work that starts next week.

Misc.

I think I'm not just addicted to facebook, but I am online junkie. I look at all sorts of things...mundane and monumental. I realised I could be on all day if I am not watched! I don't know what I would do if we lost the internet. It's worse now its on my cell phone. I google everything, check email constantly, I even read the NYTimes on my phone, and I obviously log into facebook more frequently than before.

Anyways my hope is work is starting, I have lessons to plan etc. School is starting, I'm preparing my research for my Masters degree. I should be too busy to go on the internet.

Bye All

No comments: